What happens if a spouse refuses to pay child support?

Pennsylvania child support orders are legal court orders that must be followed. Even if a person's financial situation has completely changed or if the other spouse is withholding the child, a person who is ordered to pay child support must continue to do so. People in those situations can file a motion to modify in court if they need to have the amount reduced.

There are multiple consequences that could happen if someone fails to pay child support. The state can initiate wage withholding through garnishments. Tax refunds could also be withheld or taken in order to pay overdue child support. In some cases, the court could order an individual's financial assets to be garnished by credit unions or banks. Additionally, a person who does not pay child support might lose his or her driver's, hunting, fishing and professional licenses.

People who owe more than $5,000 in back support for over a year potentially face federal criminal prosecution as well. If convicted, people will be ordered to pay the overdue amount as well as additional fines. They might also face imprisonment for up to two years. In addition, people might have liens placed on their property if they fail to pay the amount.

After a divorce, a court may order a noncustodial parent to pay child support each month. Even when financial circumstances have changed, people must continue paying the amount ordered by the court until modifications are made. Conversely, if a person is owed child support and the other parent is refusing to pay, he or she can file a motion for contempt with the court. Each situation is unique, and consulting with a lawyer might prove beneficial in order to address child support concerns.

Source: Child Home and Community, "What happens if I don't pay?", October 22, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Jacobson, Julius & Harshberger

8150 Derry Street, Suite A
Harrisburg, PA 17111

Phone: 717-260-3127
Fax: 717-909-7788
Map & Directions

Office Hours

Monday – Friday 8:30a-5:00pWeekends by appointment only

Review Us