Select Page

Experienced lawyers, driven to succeed on your behalf.


Experienced lawyers, driven to succeed on your behalf.

Summer is a time for family road trips and weekend getaways. A vacation can be filled with happy memories but vacationing with your child following a divorce can present challenges and conflict if it is not handled properly. It is important to review your custody order and sometimes receive your ex’s consent to travel out-of-state with your child.

Review your custody order

Oftentimes your child custody order will contain the details on how and when each parent can take the child on a vacation. If so, unless the custody order says otherwise, you may not need to get the child’s other parent consent to travel as long as you obey the terms of your child custody order. If you do not follow the terms in your child custody order, the child’s other parent may be able to take the matter to court to have the custody order enforced.

Obtain consent and get it in writing

If your child custody order is silent on the topic of vacations or if state law mandates it, you may need to get the child’s other parent’s consent to travel out-of-state with the child. This may especially be true if doing so would interfere with the other parent’s parenting time. Sometimes these matters can be settled out-of-court. If so, it is important to get the agreement in writing in case there are disagreements or disputes down the road.

Learn more about child custody in Pennsylvania

It is pertinent that if you want to travel with your child out-of-state following a divorce that you abide by your child custody order, a written agreement and/or a court order. If not, you could jeopardize your time with your child. This post is for educational purposes only and does not contain legal advice. Our firm’s webpage on child custody may be of help to parents who have questions on this topic.